For residents in an assisted living facility like Silver Birch Living, caregivers are essential to living a happy and healthy life. Caregivers ensure our residents are well-taken care of, both mentally and physically, while also helping with the activities of daily living or ADLs.
Compassionate and experienced assisted living caregivers offer around-the-clock supervision and a range of services, including meals, housekeeping and laundry, as well as help with personal care and medications.
We recently connected with the Director of Nursing and Wellness and Registered Nurse Natasha Dailey at our Muncie location about her passion and experience as an assisted living facility caregiver. Natasha leads the caregiving team.
Learn more about her role and how she serves our senior residents in the Q&A below.
Q&A with Assisted Living Director of Nursing and Wellness Natasha Dailey
- How long have you worked in the caregiving industry? 29 years
- Why did you decide to become a Director of Nursing and Wellness and caregiver? When I was 15-years-old I started volunteering at a skilled nursing facility (SNF) for mentally and physically challenged children. I’ve always had a passion for caring for others. I was a certified nursing assistant (CNA) for 13 years before becoming a nurse.
- What is it like working with Silver Birch residents? We have a diverse population with different levels of care needed. At the end of each day, there’s always a moment when you know you’ve had an impact on someone’s life.
- Tell me about your day-to-day experiences. There’s something new every day. We don’t just manage healthcare, we assist in our resident’s overall care, emotional and physical. Staff become their family.
- Why are you passionate about assisted living caregiving? I love helping others. I historically come from a skilled nursing facility background and what I love most about assisted living is that I have more time to get to know and build quality relationships with our residents.
- When you help a client live a better life, how does that make you feel? The best example I can think of is we had a resident move in and a week later she told the staff that we saved her life. It meant so much to me and our staff to know how much she had struggled to live on her own. The team at Silver Birch Living was able to give her the freedom to enjoy her independence. She could have her own apartment, while also giving her access to the care and assistance she needs. There are no words to express how that makes you feel knowing you helped someone live their best life.
- What is important for others to know about caregiving in assisted living facilities? Even on the most stressful days one smile from a resident or a thank you brightens up your whole day. It reminds me of why we are here. Seeing someone thrive is a reward.
- Is there anything you’d like to add that was not discussed? I could not do this job without my amazing clinical team and my fellow leadership team. It takes every worker in our community to meet the needs of our residents and help them live their best lives.
Many seniors who cherish their independent lifestyle also need a helping hand with day-to-day activities. You can find help at any one of Silver Birch Living’s nine locations that provide a full spectrum of elderly care services and amenities.
Contact us to learn more about how Silver Birch Living strives to keep our residents healthy, connected, engaged and active.